The product of 3 years PhD research with Professor Marilyn Waring at AUT’s Institute of Public Policy, the thesis sought sort to ascertain:
- Why no major left wing think tank had developed in Aotearoa, despite the existence of right and centre think tanks.
- Whether there was any support from left academics and activists for such an entity (or entities).
- If there was support, what was the nature of any think tank they would like to see established?
- What did the state of the activist left in Aotearoa 2010 – 2013 indicate about the possibility or otherwise of establishing of a left wing think tank?
- With such an initiative in mind, what might be learned from the experiences of some of the think tank-like left organisations that had already existed in New Zealand in the period 1990-2013?